Tour 6- Lovely home switches off gas
Main heating system
- Daikin heat pump installed 2022 by Associated Heating, Eugene. Qualified for $1,000 EWEB rebate. Rated at 18 SEER (Seasonal Energy Efficiency Ratio - cooling mode efficiency) and 10 HSPF (Heating Seasonal Performance Factor - heating mode efficiency rating).
- GE Cafe induction range/oven installed 2021, purchased through Kelly’s Appliance in Eugene an independent installer recommended by Kelly’s placed the unit.
- Bradford & White Heat Pump Water heater purchased through Ferguson’s of Eugene installed 2022 by Petersen Plumbing and Bear Mountain Electric, each based in Eugene. Qualified for $800 EWEB rebate. The Energy Guide tag on the HPWH says, “estimate yearly energy cost $115” which is amazing, to be able to heat water 24/7 365 days/yr. for a 2 bath 3 br home.
Other features inside
- Home is well insulated (floors, walls, ceiling) with double paned glass throughout. Part of the original 1988 construction.
- Maytag washer rated “Water efficiency is excellent” by Consumer Reports.
- Electric Maytag dryer, both washer & dryer installed 2019. Purchased through Kelly’s Appliance in Eugene.
- Five solar tubes and three skylights.
- Large ceiling fan in living room that is reversible for summer cooling and winter heating assist. Also a reversible ceiling fan in one bedroom.
- 2019 Nissan Leaf purchased in 2019 through the car finding service at AAA Eugene. A 240v charge outlet installed in our garage in 2019.
- 2013 Ford C-Max Energi Hybrid, which has an electric-only mode. Both vehicles charged are at home. $8 electricity = $46 gas! $8 of electricity fully charges our Leaf which has a 240 mile range. The average ICE car in the US gets 24.9 mpg. It would require 9.7 gallons of gas to travel 240 miles = $46 at $4.79/gallon. Not to mention close to zero maintenance for an all-electric zero emissions vehicle.
Other outside features
- Native low water plants
- Almost 100% drip irrigation
- Food growing in tight spaces
- Permaculture principles incorporated, mulching, sustainability principles incorporated, herbs, edibles, reuse of leaves generated on-site.
- No lawn.
- JR Morgan (BIPOC owned business) installed much of the landscaping and irrigation. Morganic Roots Eco Firm